Staying Active and Healthy During Winter Months

 Today and recently in the past few days the weather has been cold and dreary. This time of year can be hard on people's mental health and it is important to find ways that you can personally stay happy and healthy during these cold wintery months. Some ways I have found that help me during these times are staying active whether that is inside or outside. On days where it may be not as nice out I will take a moment out of my day to get some extra stretches in. These can be static stretches or even yoga stretches! Keep yourself healthy and active during these upcoming months!

Comments

  1. Hi Walt, I would agree that it is very important to stay active even when the weather is not very nice outside. I have been trying to go to the ARC more often to stay active. My hometown also has indoor pickleball courts, so I plan on playing pickleball there as well. My friends back home also have a golf simulator in their garage, and we typically will play golf in there during the winter. It is definitely coming up on that time of year where mental health is very important, so yes, we must try and stay physically active!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with what you said — the cold and gloomy weather can definitely take a toll on mental health. I also like to stay active during this time by doing stretches and yoga, which really help me get blood flowing and maintain balance. Along with that, I try to fit in some bodyweight workouts like for the large muscle groups to keep my energy up when I can’t get outside. On the nicer winter days, I love going for hikes — the crisp air and playing with snow makes it fun and less torture. Staying active in these small ways really makes the winter months feel more manageable and even enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything that you said! Since it is getting colder out it has definitely been harder to be active. For me, when it is cold out instead of going on walks or runs outside, I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. It is harder for me to find ways to be active during the colder months but being active definitely makes me feel mentally and physically better. I should start to try to incorporate stretching into my daily routine to see how that makes me feel. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your statements! Staying inside and being a couch potato never helps ease the feeling you get from cold weather. I personally love to look up pilates or yoga videos on Youtube and do them with my friends.It is a fun way to keep my body moving when it is raining or it is too cold outside. I will occasionally go down to the ARC and walk on the treadmill, around the track, or get a nice lift in. However, sometimes I don't have the motivation to walk down there. In that case, I substitute it for an at home workout on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with everything you said!!! I constantly find myself struggling on some of the cold days to find motivation to be active. Personally, I find myself staying active by going to the ARC and completing a workout. Also, at the ARC, I will go with friends and play soccer tennis, pickleball, or volleyball. I always know that I will feel better after getting exercise in. I like how you tied in stretching into staying active because it is so simple, but so beneficial for the body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Walt! I agree with your ideas and the importance of staying active even when the weather isn't the best! I personally like to find yoga or mobility workouts on youtube to do inside my home when the weather doesn't allow me to be outside. These activities are also great because they don't require a lot of space or equipment. I have also found that my mental health is best when I'm staying active. I liked how you mentioned stretches because that is something that people often forget about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brooke, I agree it is difficult to get out and exercise when all you want to do is stay inside and keep warm during these winter months. In the past, I have had a difficult time staying active in the winter months. All I want to do is relax because of all the strain I put on my body for softball. But I have found a consistent and good workout routine that I really enjoy that does not put too much strain on my body. I go on a run when I need to move my body, and then I will incorporate additional stretching. On days when I want to do more, I'll put together a light lift. I will also go on hikes and bike rides at the park with my family. No matter what activity you do to move your body, it is great for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment